You are unlikely to think much about your roof and ceiling until something happens and draws your attention to it. For instance, you may experience a leak, which eventually you will have to repair. If this is the case with you, then do not wait until the situation gets out of hand. Ceiling replacement may cost you, and the inconvenience of waiting for the replacement may even be worse. Here, the article explains some of the signs that will let you know that it is time to replace the ceiling.
- Water damage – This is one of the most common reasons why homeowners have to change their ceilings. Water damage occurs as a result of water leakage from pipes and rain. Sometimes, the tenants living above you may cause problems with water damage on your ceiling too. Ceiling water damage can be something small that needs repair, but sometimes, when the damage is extensive, you will need to replace the ceiling. Some of the signs that will tell you that your ceiling has been damaged by water include tile discoloration and general wearing out of the tiles.
Drywall ceilings are reframed, or the sheetrock is completely reframed when they are water damaged. Before replacing your ceiling, ensure that you address the issue that is causing the water damage in the first place.
You can hire a plumbing professional to check out what can be done to helps stop the damage because most water damage usually occurs as a result of a pipe that burst due to clogs. If you do not address the root cause of the damage, it will only be a matter of time before you are back to the same place.
- Sagging ceiling. A ceiling usually sags as a result of hanging half-inch drywall under roof trusses where there is the 24-inch spacing. If this happens, you will need a professional to rip out the drywall. He will also install a thicker sheet wall, check attic insulation, and remove any old screws. This job is labor-intensive and can take an extended period. The costs may also be high.
- Cracked ceiling. It is natural for your ceiling to start developing cracks as your home begins to age. Cracks in the ceiling could be a sign of structural damage. Some cracks will occur at the edge of the ceiling near the wall. In many instances, these types of cracks are nothing to worry about. However, if the cracks that occur towards the middle of the room and are typically long, wide, and numerous, then it may be time to consider ceiling replacement. Structural beams may be failing if the cracks you see have a dip in them. Cracks that start on the ceiling and run into the wall could signify more significant structural damage that will need your attention as the homeowner. Roofing repairs for such damage can be expensive, so it is worth looking out for any notable changes in your ceiling and attending to it before it gets out of hand.
What next after discovering that your ceiling is damaged and needs replacement?
Replacing your ceiling is a necessary investment if you want a beautiful, safe home for your family. Here are the steps you can take once you discover that your ceiling needs replacement.
- Think of ceiling designs. The first thing you will have to consider is how you would like the ceilings to look. Some people already know what they would like their ceilings to look like, while others need inspiration. If you still do not have a clear idea of what you want, you can search online to determine the kind of style you want for your house.
- Installation. Contact a professional to help you replace the ceiling. Installation of ceilings can take time, so you may need to forfeit staying in some rooms as the ceilings are attended to. Have the end in mind and be patient during this time and agree to work within the timeline that the professionals have identified. With the right experts by your side, you will get the expert advice you need. You could even ask them to customize a ceiling solution for you.
Ceilings are an essential part of the home, but many people rarely pay attention to it. When your ceiling has cracks, shows signs of water damage such as discoloration and paint are chipping off, it is time to start making plans for how to deal with the issue at hand. If you do not know what you can do to make it better, it is best to hire a professional ceiling replacement company in Perth to help you determine the best course of action. Sometimes, you will simply need to repair your ceiling, but when you see the signs discussed above, you may have to consider replacing your ceiling. Ensure you work with the right professionals to replace the ceilings and to help you with the management of the project.